Friday, October 26, 2007

Trip to Philadelphia

I just got a new card reader and have a bunch of new pictures so I'll try to catch up. First, are the pictures Eric and I took while we were in Philadelphia for my grandfather's memorial service. It was so good to see my grandmother and lots of other relatives that I havn't seen for a while. I was reminded while I was there how much of an infuence my family has had on me even though we weren't very close. My grandmother is an amazing woman. She had five children and spent her life caring and serving them and my grandfather. She's my role model. My Aunt Donna is also a very caring person who I admire very much for her love and sacrafice for her family. She has three beautiful children and her youngest, my cousin Katelyn, is severly handicapped. Aunt Donna has cared for her and fought for her so many years beyond what Katelyn's life expectancy was. My Aunt Bonnie is the picture of grace and social poise. She is also a wonderful mother and now a grandmother. I can remember being with her when I was a little girl and admiring her zeal and laughter. At many points in my young girlhood days I thought how I wanted to be like them when

The other really crazy thing was how much older everyone was. Including myself though I didn't realize it at first. Not only were my cousins and younger cousins grown and married and had kids but we've all aged. I was not prepared for that.

The one in my mind who never ages though is my grandmother. After my grandfather retired and they spent some years going down to FL for the winter they moved down there. She spent so many years caring for her children, mother, grandchildren, etc. and then finally started a new life spent golfing and socializing with all her new friends. I can't wait to see her again at Thanksgiving!

Here's some pictures from the trip.

The street I grew up on 4135 Stirling St. I can still remember my phone no. 338-4483




Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell



Sheena(my brother's wife),my sister Val and myself


Joey and Sheena


Where I went to grade school- Redeemer Lutheran Church



St. Matthew's where the memorial service was and where my dad went to school



Our last stop out of town was to this place for a cheese steak. We also came home with about 10 bags of philly style rolls. YUM!!!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

It's neat to hear who your role models were Marie. Especially as I know you are a role model yourself. :)

Sara said...

Thank you for sharing all your old memories. It's cool to see where people grew up and the many things that influenced them. We miss you guys--thanks for the sweet card. Love you,

Sara