Saturday, October 13, 2007

Poppy


Friday afternoon my mom called to let me know that my grandfather aka "poppy" had passed away in the morning. He had been diagnosed with an agressive form of liver cancer a couple of weeks ago and his health deteriorated quickly. When I spoke to my dad ,who had been down in Florida with my grandparents along with his brothers and sisters, he said that the family was glad that my grandfather was out of pain but that it's hard to believe he's really gone. I'm glad he wasn't alone when he passed away and am so very glad that my grandmother has such wonderful children to care and comfort her.

After I talked to my mom I picked up a deck of cards that I had left in the kitchen. Rachel and I were going to play but then she went to a friends house so I just started playing solataire. I can't remember the last time I've played. Then I remembered that it was my grandfather who had taught me to play solataire. I can remember him playing cards at the kitchen table often.

My grandfather was someone I looked up to from a distance. I never had many conversations with him growing up and probably because I was incredibly shy but even though there weren't many words shared I admired and respected him greatly. He worked hard to provide for his family, a wife and five children. Mostly though I think I admire his love and devotion to my grandmother. He will be greatly missed.

On Sunday Eric and I will head up to Philadelphia for the memorial service. Please pray for us if you think of it that we can somehow be a blessing to my dad's family and share the love of Jesus with them.

5 comments:

Mimi said...

Hey Marie,

I'm so sorry, about your Poppy, I will be keeping you in my prayers. Is there anything I can do to help? Please let me know:)

Michelle said...

I'm sorry for your family's loss. I will be praying for you guys.

Ashleigh said...

So sorry to hear about your poppy's passing. I lost my grandpa almost two years ago and went through feeling joy that he was now beholding the face of the Savior he faithfully served, but it was bittersweet because I missed him so much. I'm praying for you all.

Katherine M. said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Marie. Isn't it amazing the influence that someone can have by just living their life as a faithful husband, father, and grandfather. My dad sounds a lot like him. He is the one whose life inspires me to believe in a good, kind Heavenly Father. Your Poppy sounds like he was very dear. I'll be praying for you and your extended family. Hugs!

Jessica Rockey said...

I'm sorry Marie. We've already been praying for you guys this weekend.
We really missed you at the wedding. Maybe we could get a few people to go back to irvington for a weekend soon?

Our love and prayers,
Jessica and David