Sunday, February 22, 2009

Rachel's 13th Birthday






Monday was Rachel's 13th birthday. I can hardly believe she's a teenager. The years have gone by so very quickly and sadly I realize how quick her teen years will go by too.

Rachel didn't want a party nor did she want to go to VB or NYC, all things Eric and I offered, she just wanted to stay here with the family, play Catan and have dinner at Chevy's (she loves their chips and salsa). So that's what we did. Eric took her to a donut shop for breakfast after getting to sleep in as late as she wanted. The other kids and I put up all the streamers, birthday banners and balloons while she was gone. That's a tradition Eric and I have had since the kids were real little and now they love participating in it for each other. We all played Settlers of Catan (even Matthew) then had chicken salad and cucumber sandwiches, cheetos and sprite - all Rachel's favorites. After dinner at Chevy's we came home for another favorite - strawberry cake and ice cream. Helen and Emma joined us and gave Rachel a really cute hat and big earrings which she absolutely loves.  Rachel also got the new Stephen Lawhead book, "Tuck" which completes the trilogy she started at Christmas. Eric and I also gave her a claddagh ring as her promise ring. 

I'm so proud of Rachel. This has not been an easy year for her moving away from a place she's known all her life, friends and family that are very dear but she has grown in trusting God. While in the process of moving we meditated as a family on Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future." Rachel has embraced and meditated on this verse and the fruit of her attitude and faith in God with all the changes and then many unknowns for the future have amazed me. She has been a joy and a delight around the house, with her siblings and I personally have loved this time here in Maryland to hang out with her more. 

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday Rachel! :) It's great to hear how well you're doing up there. Though, I'm not sure I understand why you turned down a trip to NYC. ;-) haha.

Hugs!!

Rebekah Judd said...

Happy Birthday, Rachel!! I'm so glad things are going so well up there. We love you!

Mimi said...

Happy late bday Rachel:)

Wasko Family said...

yes happy birthday again! Can't wait to read that book, "Tuck" don't tell me anything!:) sounds like you had a very peaceful and relaxing birthday, the opposite of what i would want! ha ha!just kidding. Love you!

Tay/JO

Helen said...

oh, we love you Rachel! having you in Maryland this year has been a blessing. thanks for letting us crash your party!
Mrs. Lowe